Page Content Top
Ask About - F. & C. Osler Cut Crystal and Ormolu Frame Epergne, England, circa 1885
Please submit the form below to ask a question about F. & C. Osler Cut Crystal and Ormolu Frame Epergne, England, circa 1885.
F. & C. Osler cut crystal and ormolu frame epergne, England, circa 1885.
The finely cast ormolu epergne is raised on leopard paw feet supporting the main ring, this issuing eight flat diamond cut posey vases with scalloped rims, the central ring supporting a larger vase cut in the same manner.
The frame is trademark stamped OSLER and RgNo 29517, the registration number dating the design to 1885.
One of the posey vases has a small chip.
The mirrored plateau is 14” (35.5cm) in diameter, 12” (30.5cm) high.
The Osler firm was founded in 1807 by Thomas Osler, producing glass ornaments and chandelier parts. In 1831 his sons Follett and Clarkson had assumed control of the company and grew substantially in luxury cut glass wares. As early as 1840 F. & C. Osler started retailing luxury chandeliers in Calcutta, being represented by another agent, before opening their own store in 1843. In 1845 they opened a showroom at Oxford St., London. In 1851 F. & C. Osler provided the 27’ tall central fountain in the Crystal Palace at the Great Exhibition in London. From the 1840s into the 1920s the firm produced chandeliers, candelabras, fountains and large scale furniture for notable customers such as Queen Victoria, and several Indian Rajas and Maharajas.