Victorian claret jug with sterling silver mounts, English, dated 1868.
The body is of a simple blown glass form with the collar, lid and handle being heavily ornamented. The collar has a repeating design of flowers in bloom framed in round panels separated by stylized tulips; the overall affect being of a William Morris type frieze. The spout is a depiction of Bacchus, the Roman God of Wine.
The mounts are sterling silver, fully hallmarked for Sheffield, 1868. The silversmiths are Walter & George Sissons of 9 Eyre St., Sheffield. Their trademark was first registered in 1858.
10 1/4” (26cm) high, 5 3/4” (14.6cm) across the spout to handle.