Vintage glass block tennis trophy. This unusual trophy is a glass block, with polished front, back and bottom, with an engraved tennis match in mid game. The sides and top are intentionally left rough, as if it were carved from stone. The tennis players are engraved from opposite sides of the glass block, adding to the perception of depth within the scene. The glass is pale green and signed RM Yates ‘74.
7 1/4” (18.5cm) wide, 3” (7.6cm) thick and 7 1/2” (19cm) high.
After serving with the American forces in WWII, R M (Michael) Yates attended the Art Institute of Pittsburgh. During his studies he set up a glass carving studio in 1948, later moving the studio to his hometown of Ford City, Pennsylvania. Three years later moving the studio to Cleveland, Ohio where it remains to this day.
Through the 1950s, 60s and 70s Yates experimented with many different forms of glass making, including sand-casting, acid polishing and engraving. He semi-retired in 1985, leaving his son Robert M Yates Jr. to continue the glass business.