A 19th century reproduction of the original Renaissance era bronze by Andrea del Verdocchio, circa 1483-1488 of Bartolommeo Colleoni that stands in Venice, Italy.
The bronze horse and rider are 13 3/4” (35cm) high, on an ebonized wood plinth that is 15” (38cm) by 10” (25cm), 7” (18cm) high.
The total height is 20 3/4” (53 cm).
In 1475 the Condottiero Colleoni, a former Captain General of the Republic of Venice, died and by his will left a substantial part of his estate to the Republic on condition that a statue of himself should be commissioned and set up in the Piazza San Marco. In 1479 the Republic announced that it would accept the legacy, but that (as statues were not permitted in the Piazza) the statue would be placed in the open space in front of the Scuola of San Marco. Three sculptors competed for the contract, Verrocchio from Florence, Alessandro Leopardi from Venice and Bartolomeo Vellano from Padua. Verrocchio made a model of his proposed sculpture using wood and black leather, while the others made models of wax and terracotta. The three models were exhibited in Venice in 1483 and the contract was awarded to Verrocchio. He then opened a workshop in Venice and made the final wax model which was ready to be cast in bronze, but he died in 1488, before this was done.
He had asked that his pupil Lorenzo di Credi, who was then in charge of his workshop in Florence, should be entrusted with the finishing of the statue, but the Venetian state after considerable delay commissioned Alessandro Leopardi to do this. In 1496, the statue was erected on a pedestal made by Leopardi in the Campo SS. Giovanni e Paolo, where it stands today.
(Wikipedia “Equestrian statue of Bartolomeo Colleoni”, n.d.)
The auction house Doyle of New York sold one of these equestrian sculptures in their 2013 sale of property from the C.W. and Marjorie Merriweather Post collections.